The carpal tunnel is created by the wrist bones on the bottom and a ligament over the top. The median nerve runs through the tunnel along with the flexor tendons to the wrist. Pressure within the tunnel can compromise the nerve and lead to carpal tunnel syndrome
It is a common misconception that arthritis is just minor aches and pains associated with getting older. Arthritis is not just a disease of old age. According the Arthritis Foundation, two-thirds of people with arthritis are under the age of 65, including 300,000 children.
A disease that is characterized by inflammation of one or more joints, arthritis in its late stages can be crippling. There are different forms of arthritis, such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. As of yet, no cure for arthritis exists, however, there are medications, procedures and treatments that can alleviate some of the pain caused by this disease.
The hallmark of carpal tunnel syndrome is numbness in the thumb, index and middle finger. Additional symptoms can include:
- Numbness that is worse at night
- Weakness in the thumb muscles of the hand (in severe cases).
Generally speaking, any condition that exerts pressure on the median nerve at the wrist can cause carpal tunnel syndrome
- Repetitive strain and prolonged flexion/extension of the wrist, notably from activities such as driving, reading, uninterrupted typing, and holding a telephone, as all these can cause tendon inflammation
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Wrist fracture and associated swelling
- Pregnancy/oral contraceptive use leading to swelling in the limbs
- Underlying nerve dysfunctions
Screening and Diagnosis
Proper history and physical examination is key for diagnosis of Carpal tunnel syndrome.
The condition is diagnosed by a nerve conduction study (NCV/EMG), an electrical study that measures the length of time that it takes for a signal to cross the carpal tunnel. A delay is indicative of carpal tunnel syndrome.
– Initial treatment usually consists of NSAIDs and wrist splints (especially for use at night).
– If the symptoms persist, cortisone injections can be used to decrease the inflammation around the nerve, thus helping with the symptoms. Very good results can be obtained if used in combination with wrist splints.
– If conservative measures fail, or there is evidence of nerve damage (such as weak thumb muscles or profound numbness that does not respond to conservative treatment), then the carpal tunnel can be released by surgically incising the ligament to give the nerve root more room. This procedure is a commonly performed surgery and is considered very reliable.
Related Research Articles
Title: Treatment outcome in carpal tunnel syndrome: Does distribution of sensory symptoms matter?
Authors: Franka Claesa, Kristel M. Kasiusb, Jan Meulsteec, J. André Grotenhuisd, Wim I.M. Verhagenc
Journal: Journal of Neurological Sciences
About Ketamine Therapy
Intravenous (IV) ketamine infusion therapy has emerged as a treatment option for a variety of chronic pain conditions including fibromyalgia, small fiber neuropathy, complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS), reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD) and psychiatric conditions including depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), suicidal ideation,
and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Dr. Hanna is America’s top doctor offering IV Ketamine Infusion treatment, with over 1,000 treatments performed. Patients are reporting amazing, miraculous results with only a few treatments.
Getting Started is Easy
Discuss Your Condition
Call us to answer any questions you may have regarding Ketamine treatments.
Come in for your first Ketamine treatment and start living life again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Ketamine Safe?
Ketamine has a very safe track record and has been in use since the 1970s. Ketamine causes very little depression of a patient’s respiratory drive, which is why is has been attractive as an anesthetic agent in the military and in developing countries.
Who will oversee my infusions?
Our highly trained nurse practitioners or physician assistants will oversee your infusions and will monitor your vital signs through the process.
What safe practices are in place at IVKetamine.com?
Even though Ketamine has a very high safety profile, all patients are placed on cardiac monitoring and pulse oxygenation monitoring. IVKetamine.com sets the standard for patient safety
Will my infusions take place in a private setting?
At IVKetamine.com, each patient receives an infusion in a private room with observation by trained staff.